Glad to help with all that time on your hands!!! LOL! I still don't get the part about booting into Sierra when I have a Mavericks partition, but I will try to follow instructions....only don't hold your breath with this one, it may take me some time.

Originally Posted By: artie505
Originally Posted By: plantsower
Artie: You answered all but two questions: Again, what do you mean by Sierra Volume? I've got two partitions with different Sierras and one with Mavericks on my extended HD. They are all volumes, right??? I understand that I am to erase Mavericks and install M or C onto it and rename it, and not install M or C onto one of my Sierra partitions. So, when you say "boot into the Sierra Volume" do mean just connect my extended HD and go to Mavericks partition? Sorry, but I'm having problems with the wording as I know I am not to disturb either one of my Sierras since I want a clean install. Actually, I don't need Sierra 2012 for sure.

Also, if I do a clean install on my external drive and I like it, I should do likewise on my internal drive into a partition named M or C, correct? Unless I want to integrate all my stuff that is in Sierra. Can't you just come here and do it for me? smirk If you are getting frustrated with my unending questions,, sic someone else on me. smile This is a little (or a lot) beyond my pay grade. I do have the instructions JoeMike sent me on how to install Catalina onto my internal HD. OK, I wore myself out!

First, volume and partition are the same for these purposes.

You can't do a clean installation on the Mavericks partition (volume) as it stands; you've got to erase it first, and you can only do that while you're booted into one of your Sierra partitions - It doesn't matter which one. - while your external is connected.

If this works and you can navigate Amazon successfully from your pristine M/C installation, then we'll discuss what to do next.

Goodness, Rita! You've got it backwards. Thank you for coming up with a time-consuming problem when I've got altogether too much time on my hands. smile

Goin' back to sleep now. shocked

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8