Originally Posted By: plantsower
Artie: I just noticed that when I'm in Firefox, when I try to renew the page, it goes to that text edit window and then to the "dog."! That doesn't happen on Safari. It's got to be something wacky in my computer. I had all the content blockers off, too. Waaaah!!

I've got absolutely no idea what's up, Rita. confused

I found What is a .dms file and how do I open it? which identifies 3 possibilities for your .dms file and means to open each:
  1. #1 - Disk Masher Image: I've had The Unarchiver on my MBP for ages, and it's safe...but Amiga?
  2. #2 - Dream Maker Script: I know nothing about either Dream Maker or the app mentioned.
  3. #3 - Renamed Downloaded File: That would involve simply changing the extension on your file from .dms to either .txt, .rtf, or .rtfd depending upon its contents. (I guess you'd have to experiment?)
Unfortunately, though, I can't begin to guess what you'll find inside that file if you do open it. I, myself, would create a sterile environment and take a look-see, but I think you'll be best off ignoring it.

Your dog looks like a 404 Error (Page Not Found), but it doesn't say so, and under any circumstances, it's too primitive to be an Amazon offering.

And you say that your husband experiences the same things you do, but on a different machine running a different version of macOS?

It doesn't seem likely that it's an ISP issue, but maybe something that came from your ISP inadvertently? Have you got a friend who uses the same ISP with whom you can check?

Unless someone else can come up with a better idea, I"d be inclined to experiment with a newly created, pristine installation, your choice of OS, and check to see if Amazon works before doing anything more. If Amazon does work, you can then run Migration Assistant, BUT that may import your problem to your new volume...altogether, one hell of a Catch-22.

Anybody?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire