I'm not sure where to post this, but I hope this is the correct sub-forum.

I do not have a smartphone but what with the Covid-19 self-isolation I would like to join WhatsApp as several local groups are providing information and help via that application.

As far as I can tell, there is as yet no version for either iOS or macOS, at least without having a smartphone to set up first. The various "WhatsAppalike" apps on the App Store do not, to my untutored and ignorant mind, lend themselves to directly replacing the smartphone route.

Of course, I may be being stupid here and completely missing the point, but with a threatened three months self-isolation (I'm in a couple of at risk categories as well as being a tad long in the tooth) I feel joining the local WhatsApp communities would be advisable and I would prefer not to get a smartphone unless I really have so to do.

Is there a way that I can install WhatsApp on my iPad and/or iMac without having a smartphone with which to start and maintain connection?

I have an iPad Pro 10.5" Model MPME2B/A with 512GB capacity and 269GB spare running under iOS v13.3.1 with a 3G/4G SIM card installed together with a 2017 iMac running under macOS Catalina v10.15.3 (19D76) with a 2TB HD and 64GB RAM.

Any advice even, if needs must, "overcome your bizarre deep-seated prejudices and get a smartphone" would be most welcome.

For the record, I have a "fonerange T180" rugged and tough phone which, as I work backstage in a theatre, allows me to drop it and stand on it with impunity! I'm not sure an iPhone would take too kindly to being abused in quite the same way!

Stay safe during these bizarre times, one and all - and thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited by iBozz; 03/22/20 04:20 PM.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017); 3.8 GHz Intel Core i5; 2TB HD; 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 RAM; Radeon Pro 580 8 GB. iPad Pro 10.5" Model MPME2B/A with 512GB capacity; iPhone SE 2020 256GB