My printing requirements are not super sophisticated these days. When my Canon A3+ printer packed up in November, I replaced it with a A4 Canon printer/scanner and that's mainly used with plain copy paper.

So, I can tell you that the print dialogue from Affinity Photo is not as elaborate as Photoshop's, but I got a plain paper printout that looked just like the screen and a glossy photo print that was a bit too contrasty on my first efforts.

The online tutorials for AF are very thorough and I can't believe Photoshop can do anything that AF can't, it's just the learning curve that daunts me, and that's why I resisted trying AF until I absolutely had to. It looks very like Photoshop, but all the pallets and locations are just a little bit different. The keystrokes are similar and I'm getting the hang of it pretty quickly.

However, I don't need it for much more than color correction and perspective distortions these days. Well, except for my Christmas card...

If I could have kept CS5 running, I would have, but I'm not paying a subscription for any software. £240/year for Photoshop? Nah.

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.