Originally Posted By: artie505
How many "Swiss Army Knife" type utilities (that litter the Mac landscape with duplicate functionality that most users virtually never call on) does one really need, Alex?

Other than for periodic maintenance, how often do you call on any of your utilities (and I'm talking about troubleshooting, not "feature tweaking")?

If you've got a moment, I'd love to see a list of the utilities you're running and their unique and necessary functionalities that have induced you to d/l, perhaps even pay for, them.

I'm with artie on this one. We don't need automated cache cleaning or periodic task priming anymore. About the only such utility i "use" is AppleJack... but basically -- after installing it -- it just sits there forever waiting for an emergency to occur (so i can run it from single-user mode). I suppose i could run it as a matter of some routine... but that's quite unnecessary. Better to learn a handful of useful Terminal commands and save them for those rare occasions (e.g., sudo launchctl start com.apple.periodic-monthly), and/or know basic stuff (e.g., doing a Safe Boot for font cache cleaning), etc.

I've heard TinkerTool System has a pretty good ACL section... so maybe using its GUI for that purpose might be worth the dough for some users. [ACLs are a bit trickier than basic permissions.] But generally speaking, macosxhints.com is a good source for such technical info [and quite likely is the same place where the authors of these utilities find most of the commands they use in their wares.]