Originally Posted By: OWC
Thank you for choosing OWC for your technical needs. There is, at present, a known issue with external Thunderbolt drives/enclosures/drive docks, and 10.15 Catalina, not just for our items, but all external solutions. We're working with Apple to get this resolved but presently, there is no firmware update, or fix, available for this, my apologies.

Interesting information.

FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH:
Among the collection of external HDs and SSDs I have an OWC Aura TB3 SSD connected to one of the TB3 ports on my Mac mini that kept inexplicably dismounting, usually when the computer was not in use. An OWC tech recommended resetting the PRAM and disabling "put hard disk to sleep" as but it still dismounted although perhaps the interval between dismounts was longer (the dismounts were so irregular it was difficult to tell).

In an effort to clean up the jungle of cords on the back of my desk I decided to re-configure all of my externally connected devices and found I could eliminate a 12 port OWC TB3 Dock several other devices were connected to. That was three days ago and so far the Aura drive has not "unexpectedly disconnected". 🤞The Aura drive is brilliantly fast — nearly as fast as the internal SSD — but I have been reluctant to use it in production because of the unexpected disconnects. Now I am beginning to think it is actually going to be very useful. ✌️

I can't definitively determine whether or not the OWC TB3 Dock played a part in the unexpected disconnects 🙅‍♂️. I am running a beta version of MacOS 10.13.3, there were too many other changes made while thinning out the wire jungle, and frankly I am not interested/curious enough to test out the theory. But I am definitely suspicious and I am reporting my experience to OWC.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein