Originally Posted By: joemikeb
It says something that we have to be reminded of those old school debugging techniques that used to be part of our every day repertoire. MacOS has become VERY stable.

I've lamented the memory loss in more than one post. macOS has, indeed, become very stable.

Originally Posted By: artie505
On the other hand, doesn't it seem bizarre that built-in key functionality is susceptible to a corrupted plist?

While the non-character keys do have a particular function by convention they are still interpreted in the same software table and they can be reassigned to do something entirely different.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought the default behavior of the F keys was in firmware or some-such.

OUT OF CURIOSITY You said you did not have com.apple.keyboard.plist or com.apple.keyboardservicesd.plist, do you remember what plists you ended up deleting?

I deleted every iTunes and Music plist (6 of 'em); the ones that grew back are:
  • ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes.plist
  • ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.itunesstored.plist
  • ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Music.eq.plist
  • ~Library/Preferences/com.apple.Music.plist
One of the two that didn't regenerate was ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes.eq.plist, and I'm pretty sure the other was ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.ituneshelper.plist.

More: I trashed them while booted into a clone to ensure that they were really gone.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire