Well, Artie, you may be quite right. Currently, I have TechTool Pro, DiskWarrior, Socks, Snow Leopard Cache cleaner, Tinker Tool (from old times) and Tinker Tool System. Now the big question is what and how often I use!
DW - about twice a year if anything goes wrong (I have a bad habit of not using DU from the install disk). With Tiger and Leopard, got a couple problems with directory and that was fixed.
TTP - also about once a year as a heavy artillery.
SL cache cleaner - about once in two-three months just for caches in an attempt to speed up the machine a bit. Used to do it with Onyx but not any more.
TT - not any more because I got TTS recently. Used it a couple of times, lately to clean the little mess Onyx crash left.
I agree that all these utilities except, possibly, DW have common tasks including cache cleaning and permissions repair (I relegate the latter now to SuperDuper!). They also have something of their own. It would be nice to get a comparison of such utilities (maintenance and repair), with lists of what they are primarily for.
I guess, this would be a nice FAQ topic, very useful for the general membership me included.
P.S. One of the reasons I keep more than 3 is that, when a new OS comes up, they are not equally fast and efficient at updating, so I am trying to keep something that works. This is debatable tactics, I know.

Alex
3.1 GHz 13" MacBook Pro 2015, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, TimeWarner Cable
2.8 GHz Xeon Mac Pro 2010, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, LAN