Originally Posted By: artie505
...but Performing a Full Volume Clone via Apple Software Restore (Beta) is probably what you're looking for.[/url]

It is and thanks. I have now captured it into my DevonThink Knowledge Base database.

I'm actually one (unreleased) build ahead of you with CCC 5.1.15b1 (5891), which enables bootable clones of your boot volume in another volume in the same container if SIP is disabled.

Same release, different build. The automatic updater triggers on the release ID, not the build number so I can't convince it that I am "out of date".

On the other hand I am not inclined to have multiple clones on the same physical device. Instead I have a few inexpensive (a.k.a. cheap) or repurposed HDs to use for any sort of "versioned" clones. The one exception I can think of would be to have a drive with clones of multiple computers.

In fact, I am considering that very thing as concomitant part of a general reconfiguration of the systems here. I will be using a 2TB HD for the clones but I am debating on whether to partition the drive or rely entirely on APFS volumes.

I did a Full Clone to a volume on a multivolume APFS drive and to my surprise the Recovery Drive, System Volume and Data Volume were added without changing the other volume on the drive, in spite of the warning the destination would be completely erased. I am try to envision how the various recovery, system and data volumes would be associated with one another.

QUESTIONS:
  • Have you attempted creating multiple bootable clones in the same APFS Container?
  • If so, did you use Full Clone (beta) or the Copy All Files option?
  • How were the different Recovery Drives Handled?

Talk about fast? A Full Clone clone of my ~25 GB boot volume takes ~1 minute 5 seconds whereas a Copy All Files clone takes ~3 minutes 55 seconds! (And incremental updates sound like lightning!) smile

I am amazed at how fast the data can be moved when all of the file handling rigamarole is eliminated. It is a dramatic demonstration of how much processing overhead and read/write overhead is involved in file management. Couple that with NVMe devices and WOW!

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein