Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Originally Posted By: artie505
In OSs prior to Catalina, CCC could create a bootable clone of your boot volume in another volume in the same container if SIP was disabled, and a complete, but non-bootable, one if it was enabled. In Catalina, because of a negative interaction between SIP and Apple's new System/Data scheme, even a complete non-bootable clone is impossible.

In my case it is not CCC that is the culprit....

According to Mike Bombich, CCC isn't the culprit...

Originally Posted By: Mike
The reason those items are excluded from the backup task in the screenshot, though, is that the destination is a volume in the same container as the current startup disk. CCC has to exclude system files from that task, otherwise you'll run into thousands of SIP-related errors. That's new in Catalina, and I'm hoping it's a bug that Apple intends to fix. SIP protection should be limited to the current startup disk, not additional volumes in the same container.

FYI I am running CCC 5.1.15b1 (5890)....

I installed it today after reading your post; it sounds fascinating.

Originally Posted By: artie505
I can't argue with that, but do you think Apple's locking down /Apps & /Apps/Utilities so unnecessary ones can't be culled really contributes to security? (I'd love to get rid of 19 + at least 3, respectively.)

I am not sure what you are referring to. Other than some Apple Apps and Utilities that are used elsewhere in MacOS and/or other Apps I have no problem deleting apps and utilities such as Mail in MacOS 10.15.3. (Emphasis added)

Not so in 10.15.2, though. (Hmmm... I think that's the first formatted link I've ever seen.)

Apple has apparently seen the error in their ways; I guess I'm not the only one who was upset. smile

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire