Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Originally Posted By: artie505
DAMN! I hate this new System/Data setup & lockdown. It can't be overcome by disabling SIP & sudo combined and is a major PIA!!!

Imagine my surprise when I attempted to boot my new 2018 Mac mini from a CCC clone only to be told it could not be booted from an external drive!

I've run into an equal but opposite issue.

In OSs prior to Catalina, CCC could create a bootable clone of your boot volume in another volume in the same container if SIP was disabled, and a complete, but non-bootable, one if it was enabled. In Catalina, because of a negative interaction between SIP and Apple's new System/Data scheme, even a complete non-bootable clone is impossible. (Mike Bombich is hoping it's a bug that Apple will take care of, but he's not certain). And even if it's possible to turn the trick with SIP disabled, I'd bet that there aren't enough users running in that state to justify the time investment.

(I maintain a clone on external drive, but I like an onboard clone because my desk is small, and my external is in a drawer other than when I'm running a CCC task.)

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
...not nearly as annoying as getting hacked would be. Security, like freedom, isn’t free.

I can't argue with that, but do you think Apple's locking down /Apps & /Apps/Utilities so unnecessary ones can't be culled really contributes to security? (I'd love to get rid of 19 + at least 3, respectively.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire