Originally Posted By: kevs
Thanks Joe, well lady at Verizon, says to block anyway.. who knows.

I contacted two 3rd party companies like that and they both don't have ability, to allow the spammer to at least leave a voice mail, so its a deal breaker. I can't trust false positives, so going pass until these servies allow that. Verizon does allow that with their app, but my plan is not eligible to use their app. So stuck.

The organizations that collect lists of spam/robo callers have some pretty rigorous standards for placing a number on their list which are intended to reduce the number of false positives. Numbers can age off of most lists as well if they are no longer being reported.

Given spoofers are prone to using phone numbers that appear to be in your area (same area code and even the same prefix) blocking locally could arguably have a higher probability of creating false positive.

Originally Posted By: artie505
And SMS/MMS texting doesn't enter into the equation in any way shape or form, because cell service is not enabled on my iPhone.

Phone number addressing of iMessages works only between Apple devices with an Apple ID. The actual routing is via email not the cellular network. However Apple is capable of injecting a text into the telco network when you are using a device such as a Mac computer that does not have a cellular connection.

Originally Posted By: ryck
I assume that explains why the call blocking service provided by my landline phone company sometimes says it cannot block the number because: "That number is not available".

That would be my assumption as well.

Last edited by joemikeb; 12/09/19 03:37 PM.

"All you've got to do is own up to your ignorance
honestly, and you'll find people who are eager to
fill your head with information"
--Walt Disney