Originally Posted By: keys
...once you block someone it's over they swim among thousands of blocked tele-marketers and can't find to unblock. Amazing, boondogle.

COMMENT:

Because of Caller ID Spoofing the efficacy of blocking numbers on your iPhone to reduce robo-calls is questionable. The telephone number that appears when you receive a robo-call often has no connection to the robo-caller at all and was generated entirely out of thin air by a computer. It is in all likelihood a one time number used only for the one call you received. It may or may not be a valid number at all, and if it is valid it has no connection with the robo-caller.

Call blocking is efficacious ONLY when there are multiple robo-calls from the same number and that number is an actual number used by the telemarketer and not a spoof. Otherwise you may inadvertently block important calls.

Previously when I receive a robocall I blocked the number in my phone and then shared that number with NoMoRobo, now I only share the number with NoMoRobo and do not block the number on my iPhone. NoMoRobo checks with their own database of reported robocalls and with the database of other agencies that collect such data and if the number is reported often enough it is added to their blocked number list and therefore from my iPhone (and landline phone as well). There are many organizations that collect robocall reports and analyze them to effectively identify numbers used repeatedly by robocallers and many apps that depend on those lists. NoMoRobo is the only app I know of that allows you to directly AND conveniently report robocalls, but I am confident there are others.

Whether or not NoMoRobo and its ilk are effective is a legitimate question. We receive on the average around 50 calls a week on our landline. Of those calls maybe 4 or 5 are legitimate leaving 45 or so questionable calls. For technical reasons on the landline NoMoRobo has to allow one ring before intervening and dropping a robocall. Out of the 45 questionable calls over half are one ring only, so I have to say it is very effective.

NOTE: I have relationship with NoMoRobo other than that of a satisfied subscriber.

Last edited by joemikeb; 12/08/19 10:34 PM. Reason: add note

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein