THE BLOCKED CALLER AND BLOCKED MESSAGES LISTINGS ARE THE SAME LIST so if you block a phone number, SMS messages from that number are also blocked! (or at least that is true in iOS 13, I just verified that for myself.)
  • To block a phone number
    1. Recommended: If you have a call blocking app (I use Malwarebytes) Go to System > Phone > Call Blocking and Identification and turn the call blocker ON
    2. Go to Recents and click on the info icon at the far right of the number you want to block
    3. scroll down to the bottom of the info screen and click "Block This Caller." That number will be added to the list of blocked phone numbers.
    4. Although blocked numbers may appear as if they are in your contacts list, it is in fact separate from Contacts. (Apple has simply reused the code from Contacts, but pointed to a different database.)
  • To see the numbers on your blocked call list
    1. go to Settings > Phone > Blocked Contacts.
    2. Touch "Edit" at the top of that list to remove number from the blocked call list
    3. At the bottom of the list of blocked phone numbers you will find "add new" that permits adding numbers to your blocked call list without having to enter the person into your Contacts list.
  • To Block text messages:
    1. Go to Settings > Messages > Unknown & Spam and turn Filter "Unknown Senders" ON. If you have message filtering apps such as NoMoRobo or Malwarebytes. you can also select one of those for an additional level of filtering. They are not deleted but go to a separate message list.
    2. To block a particular sender:In a conversation tap the info icon then scroll down and click "block this sender".
    3. To create a blocked message contact: Go to Settings : Messages > Blocked Contacts

Last edited by joemikeb; 12/05/19 09:23 PM. Reason: misplaced comma

"All you've got to do is own up to your ignorance
honestly, and you'll find people who are eager to
fill your head with information"
--Walt Disney