Originally Posted By: jchuzi
It really bugs me that evangelicals, who purport to be morally superior to everyone else, embrace this scoundrel. Talk about making a deal with the Devil...

This use of the word "Evangelical" is a classic example of how "labeling" can be harmful to the innocent as well as the guilty. As an ordained elder in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) I can attest that most Presbyterians along with Episcopalians, Catholics, Lutherans, Methodists, Friends, and maybe 100 or more other Christian denominations think of themselves as being evangelical in that we are called to publicly proclaim the "good news" we find in the Christian Gospels. But thoughtless labeling of a particular highly vocal segment of Christianity by the media and others has made mainline Christians reluctant and even ashamed to use the term.

The fact is we are all Christians but because we are human some of us feel called to live out our faith one way, and others another. This labeling has contributed to significant strife within most denominations and resulted in schism within many (most?) to the benefit of none and least of all to the mission of the affected churches not to mention God.

Originally Posted By: ryck
The following quote, from a responder at another site referencing a different aspect of Trump's actions, seems equally applicable here:

"The evangelicals who all support Trump unquestioningly should refer to the reference of an "antiChrist" in their favourite book. This guy is the epitome of the description and of course they are all "blinded by the light.""

"The evangelicals who ALL support Trump unquestioningly…" I take umbrage at this blanket naming and/or blaming. Not ALL evangelicals support Trump, I wouldn't even go so far as to say a majority of evangelicals support Trump. In the first place I don't know the facts and in the second evangelicals are no more homogenous than lets say the Chinese, or Democrats, or Republicans, or English. In fact there is evidence that would tend to indicate they are if anything less homogeneous than the general population in that their churches, ministers, etc. unlike mainline denominations are answerable to no central authority.

Personally I abhor most of what Trump has done and is attempting to do but he is getting away with it because in their zeal to retain or attain power both parties have lost sight of what we elected them to do. They need to quit labeling one another remember that in the long run both parties have the same goals for the country and the only difference is in how to achieve those goals and hopefully can relearn how to work together. Ideally that would begin with the electorate, but in either case it will require leadership on both sides of the political aisle.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein