Originally Posted By: joemikeb
CLARIFICATION PLEASE: In your other thread I thought you indicated you did not intend to use the device as a telephone so cellular network connectivity would be a useless continuing expense. If that is the case why would you care if it is GSM or GSM/CDMA and what Cellular network it is compatible with? What Am I Missing?

You're not missing anything; I jumped from "A" to "C" without realizing that there was a need to clarify "B."

As I got into considering which iPhone to buy I realized that since I was actually buying this one (as opposed to getting it as a hand-me-down) it would be in my best interests to buy one that I could actually use as a phone should I ever need one...IF I could get one at a not unreasonable price.

Results of my research: Regardless of cost, any iPhone earlier than a 5s would be wasted money, because it would be 3G (not to mention 32 bit) and would cease functioning as a phone in the near future, so the 5s I ended up buying, which is still supported, 4G, 64 bit, and (using my criteria) at $105 didn't cost a heck of a lot more than a 5 at $90 would have cost (An iPhone 4 or 4s is a ridiculously expensive "collector's item.") was a ridiculously easy choice. I considered an SE, but it would have cost me $50 more for, basically, a 12 MP camera (as opposed to the 8 in a 5s), which would have been overkill.

BACK TO THE TOPIC OF THIS THREAD and again referring to the iOS version of MacTracker this is the single listing for the iPhone 5s, which clearly indicates model identifier iPhone6,1 is GSM only and iPhone6,2 is both GSM and CDMA.

Yes and - I THINK - no: my research indicated that Apple really was obscure about the 5s...that there are two different iPhone6,2s, one GSM, and the other CDMA, and both are identified as Model A 1533, as told in Differences between iPhone 5S A1533, A1453, A1457 and A1530 (linked in my earlier post).

In support of that, the one I bought was listed as "A1533 ME341LL/A," and iPhone 5s (CDMA/Verizon/A153...one6,1) tells
Quote:
Please note that this "CDMA" A1533 iPhone 5s model -- which is compatible with LTE bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19, 20, and 25 (as well as both CDMA EV-DO and GSM connectivity) -- is intended for Verizon in the US.

I just took a cursory look at Ebay listings and although many indicate whether they are GSM or GSM/CDMA in the listing header, I didn't find any that listed the Apple model identifier so while the model identifier is definitive it does not appear to be particularly helpful frown

Yeah, lack of numbers other than "Model Number A 1453 & 1533" (in the case of the 5s) makes it really difficult to distinguish between offerings; the one I bought was an extremely rare instance of full documentation.

Personally I would choose the carrier first and then look for a compatible device.

And that's exactly what I did...bought a locked Verizon phone.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire