The point is that I don’t know whether I absolutely need to run DW on my APFS drive. Even if it choked on something it would not at the moment be able to do the necessary repairs.

While I’ve been using Macs since the LC, I’m really only computer literate enough to just observe what errors a drive utility reports and watch it fix them! I like my systems to be up to date and trouble free but am well aware that problems will inevitably occur, particularly those that may be the result of my own stupidity. That a utility with a different function (CCC) reports a few files it cannot clone for one reason or another suggests that there may be some issues that need fixing. It copies everything else OK, the clone boots and I’m glad it’s has identified a few problematic obscure files to be aware of. Let’s hope that they remain obscure…

APFS is here to stay. It’s been around for 2 years but I find it quite odd, even if its documentation has been tardy, that a utility that can monitor and fix issues on this file system is not yet out. I’m a bit reluctant to jump through the hoops that Freelance helpfully suggests (go back to HFS+?) because, while I’m not an “early adopter”, I’d prefer not to go backwards.

I too have used DW since Marco Polo was in short pants and it was an absolute delight to see it munching through fragmented files and fixing B trees all those years ago. I just wish that Alsoft would hurry up. Even if a new version comes at a cost, which it surely will, I’m pretty sure I’ll be happy to pay for it even if it means putting off an upgrade to my trusty Beamer, old enough to have a fancy cassette player in the dash…