This post is really just musing but I would welcome any thoughts.

In preparation for upgrading to Catalina I have identified 80 or so 32 bit apps and associated files on my Mojave run late 2013 iMac (17 of these are actually Apple associated). Most are old, redundant or I no longer need (like anything to do with Adobe or Microsoft) and can be tossed without a qualm. Or at least I think so. I can find suitable free or paid 64 bit replacements for the rest but one in particular, Disk Warrior, has me scratching my head in frustration.

I have the current version of DW (5.2) and, while it is 64 bit, it cannot at the moment repair my Mojave converted APFS volume. Previously I had used it for years to clean things up before cloning to a backup drive (it never identified anything very serious but why would you clone a potentially dodgy drive?). Current Apple APFS documentation for developers is reportedly absent or somewhat sketchy and it may yet be some time before Alsoft (now with a fancy new website) and others can get up to speed.

Carbon Copy Cloner regularly identifies a few probably corrupt files and understandably baulks at copying them to the clone and some of these (eg a ChineseWordlistUpdate bom file) can’t be deleted. Although I don’t think it’s CCC’s prime purpose to find such files, I’m relieved that it does but I do wonder what else could be wrong that a disk health utility like DuskWarrior (ho ho, I meant disk but dusk does seem apt at this time!) would normally pick up.

So what do I do in the meantime? Patiently and perhaps naively assume things are either OK, will be fixed by moving to Catalina or are simply not serious enough to worry about? Move to an alternative utility?