Dr. Joe:

Here is what I have done with the "old" Time Capsule (plugged into the back of iMac with ethernet cable):

1. Erased using AIRPORT UTILITY
2. Reformatted/Renamed in APFS using DISK UTILITY. Successful and shows device: Drive with Container and one Volume in APFS (renamed as EXHDD 1). First Aid run shows all is OK with disk.
3. Restarted computer and EXHDD 1 appears on desktop. :0)

Results (and problems) . . .

a. Amber light continues to flash when connected or not connected with the ethernet cable to the iMac

b. While plugged into the iMac with the ethernet cable, NETWORK SETTINGS in System Preferences indicates an internet connection. However, SAFARI will launch but no "Server is found." When the ethernet cable is UN-plugged from the computer, the internet (and Safari) function as expected.

It would seem the when the "new" EXHDD is connected via the ethernet cable, it interferes with the internet connection in some way. Any fix for this since, naturally, I want to be able to use BOTH the internet AND the new EXHDD (as the replacement hard drive for the original internal hard drive which is not working properly) at the same time?

And, of course, I want the EXHDD and the Internet to play well together before I move my Home Folder from the SSD on the iMac to the new EXHDD (then following with moving my backed-up files to the new EXHDD).

Any ideas?

Many thanks,
MG2009