Gave the second link a shot.

Again . . . all looked good to start with.

Terminal reset the SSD just fine as APFS, by default. There is a message, though, saying that the HDD "cannot be written to the last block" (so nothing happens). Process Failed.

In recovery mode, the HDD shows up in Disk Utility as "disk3" (I TB). The SSD shows up as "disk0s2" (200 GB). The DU states that the HDD is "uninitialized" - which was a new term for me. Partitioning is greyed out. Any attempt to erase or rename causes a error message stating that the HDD cannot be unmounted. However, the First Aid runs for the HDD and states that everything appears to be okay.

Any ideas to "initialize" or force action on the HDD? The iMac seems to recognize the existence of the HDD, but I cannot do anything with it. Is there a 3rd party option to get the HDD (re) formatted and recognized (fixed?) . . . and able to have data written to the last block?

P.S. When Terminal is run, it looks as though the process on the HDD gets to the 50% mark (?) and then fails (and shows the "cannot write to last block" message.)

Last edited by MG2009; 10/23/19 11:33 PM. Reason: P.S. added

Many thanks,
MG2009