Sine my upgrade to Catalina (and I’ve also installed the Supplementary of yesterday) my Time Machine appears to be broken.

When entering Time machine, there are currently no back-ups prior to 2318 yesterday evening. 12 back-up panels are available since then at either one or two hour difference between recorded times and there is also the Now panel. All back-ups under Mojave, which stretched back to back to October 2018, are missing or invisible. The Menu bar icon states that the latest back-up is dated 13 October (four days ago).

It has just attempted to carry out another back-up and returned the error messages:

1) Back-upFailed. There isn’t enough space on “*****”

2) The Time Machine couldn’t complete the back-up to “*****.local”. the back-up disk needs 265.19GB for there back=up but only 99.87GB are available. Select a larger back-up disk or make the back-up smaller by excluding files. Latest successful back-up 13 October 2019.

I don’t understand how on earth it can be trying to back-up 265.19GB but nevertheless I tried checking, under Options in Time Machine System Preferences, “Exclude system files and applications”. That panel shows that the estimated size of the full back-up to be 926.91 TB but when I check that box it only reduces to 917.06GB and I cannot believe that system files and applications only amount to 9 or 10GB! A Get Info on my Applications folder shows that that aone is 21.32GB.

I’ve had quick look on the late “Pondini’s” site but it obviously is out of date now and stops at Mountain Lion.

So, a couple of (OK three) questions:

1) Where have my previous year’s back-ups gone and are they retreivable?

2) Why, notwithstanding the apparent loss of previous back-ups, is it not doing incremental back-ups?

3) can I get this working properly again without losing all existing back-ups and, if so, how?

Apologies for this being bit long and erratic, but I’ve tried my best to make it comprehensible (but not very well blush )!

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017); 3.8 GHz Intel Core i5; 2TB HD; 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 RAM; Radeon Pro 580 8 GB. iPad Pro 10.5" Model MPME2B/A with 512GB capacity; iPhone SE 2020 256GB