Howdy all. I'm experiencing a rather bizarre problem with my wife's user account on our Mac Pro. We're running 10.6.1, have been on Snow Leopard since the day it was released (ditto for the .1 update) and have had no problems with her logging in until today. When I select her user account (either from log in screen or as fast-user switch) and enter the password, the computer goes to a blue screen and acts as if it is logging her in, but then I am dropped back to the log in window. There is no chance the password is wrong. In fact, I have tried resetting it and have gotten as far as a keychain message after doing so advising that the password has changed. But following through on updating the password for keychain results in the log out and stay-out problem.

I found a thread on Apple's board in which some people were having the identical problem immediately after installing Snow Leopard, and the solution has been to delete com.apple.security.plist from the user library/preferences. I tried that and it had no effect. I've also tried the radical step of deleting her user Library folder (after backing it up, of course) and letting the system rebuild a virgin, presumably trouble-free copy. That tactic has worked out well in the past for obscure user-related issues. It had NO effect this time.

I've also tried repairing permissions, while booted from the hard drive and booted from the install DVD. No luck. Tried various utilities using Onyx... no luck. So now I am stumped. Utterly stumped. Any ideas, short of whacking her account and re-creating it?

I should mention I'm having no issues on my user account or either of the others I have on here.