My thinking goes:
  • The fact it has survived a nuke and pave of Mojave is weird but that would seem to imply it is likely something that was restored after the nuke and pave.
  • Since it occurs in a test account, it has to be something at the system level which leaves drivers, LaunchAgents, LaunchDaemons, and some kernel extensions.
  • Since it occurs with a safe boot that would appear to eliminate all but essential kernel extensions.
  • Since kernel extensions interact with hardware and firmware, resetting the NVRAM might change the behavior.
If my logic is sound that would point the finger at a third party kernel extension (If it were an Apple kernel extension a lot more people would be effected by the problem). The only troubleshooting technique I know of in such a case would be starting with a clean install of the bare OS and then adding third party kernel extensions one at a time until the problem re-appears (and I would not be surprised if it never re-appeared — that happened to me once).

However, with the imminent release of Catalina (rumors has it the Golden Master is in beta) and the fact there are a whole lot of under the hood changes, I would wait to see if the problem exists in MacOS 10.15 before doing any more lengthy troubleshooting.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein