Thank you for taking the time to provide, once again, an extremely complete and easy-to-understand reply. However, you probably forgot to say to yourself: “Wait. This is ryck and he’s sure to ask another question.” Yup.

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
  • THE FACTS ARE:
      [*]the best anti-malware apps can do is detect the digital signature of KNOWN malware [*]the best protection against malware is threefold
      1. Keep the OS and apps scrupulously up to date
      2. Remain suspicious at all times and always err on the side of caution.
      3. Never become complacent

• Got it…..and my wife and I have had suspicion as our watchword for quite a while. In fact, she’s presently out of town but sent a text yesterday asking me to look at two emails in her account which she wondered about. Sure enough they were phishing expeditions, so I wrote Rules in her Apple Mail that would delete them if they came by again.

So, returning to the thread question….it looks like upgrading to Office 19 might be prudent.

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
  • THE FACTS ARE:
      [*]VBA macros are "old school" malware technology but there are still exploits in the wild which still constitute a risk,

• You also mentioned that the OS should be scrupulously kept up to date. I am at Mojave 10.14.6 and hoping to stay there for a while because, being inflicted with invincible stubbornness, I want to keep certain 32 bit apps. None of them would ever involve sharing or any other usage other than on my Mac. Am I right to assume that, because Office is the only software that has sharing possibilities, my 32 bit apps shouldn’t constitute any great concern?

Last edited by ryck; 09/16/19 04:15 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
    OS Sonoma 14.4.1
    Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
    Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
    TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C