I’ve been musing about my Microsoft Office apps since receiving (a while back) advice from Microsoft that they would no longer support Office 11 or earlier. According to the “About” information, my latest installed update is Office 11 Version 14.7.7 (170905). Note: Since the caution from Microsoft, they have actually sent a couple of updates.

I only have Excel, Word and Powerpoint., and I mostly use Excel and Word for basic writing and spreadsheet functions with Powerpoint periodically pulled out when someone sends a PP document. Otherwise, I have no requirement for all the enhancements that would come with the “latest, greatest….blah, blah, blah” version such as Office 2019.

However, my musing is about security. Will I be less vulnerable with Office 2019, given it will be sending security updates? Or can I assume that any holes in Office 2011 have been plugged by now and that the chances of something sneaking in are slim?

Going to Office 19 is not cheap. $150 Canadian.

Last edited by ryck; 09/14/19 10:05 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C