Originally Posted By: artie505
Thanks for the link to the Drive Scope manual; it's a useful read.

Quote:
From Micromat's forums I discovered that SATA SSDs may report the same attributes but the attribute itself is inferred (my term) from other values more appropriate to SSDs.

That sentence is unclear.

I am glad the Drive Scope manual was helpful. As to my sentence, although it seemed perfectly clear when I wrote it, in retrospect it isn't clear at all. 🤷‍♂️

What I was attempting to say is that although the SMART report for a SATA attached SSD may be reported as a standard SMART attribute value the drive itself may not actually report that value as it does not directly apply to an SSD so the reported value may be "inferred" from values that are reported by the drive.

Although the first 13 attributes are supposedly "set in stone" by the SMART alliance standards the only example I have of a SATA attached SSD, an OWC Mercury Electra 6G SSD, and its reported attribute names only match two of my HGST HD's attributes: 1. "Raw Read Error Rate" and 178. Temperature Celsius. Nine of the SSD's reported attributes have the very informative attribute name "Unknown" and all are of the type "old-age". (Apparently only heaven and OWC know when one of their Mercury Electra 6G SSDs is failing or has failed — which is disappointing.)

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein