Two years ago our business had to close for health reasons. Since then I've been perfectly OK with this iMac running Snow Leopard. However, it now seems that I'll need to bite the bullet and get newer kit. Specifically, my own bank's on-line banking just does not work any more (though other websites I use all the time for booking flights, hotels, buying stuff from Amazon etcetera, are all fine).

I've had a look at Macs for sale and am staggered at the prices. Nearly a thousand pounds for an Apple Notebook for instance....

I'm going to stick with Mac because I've been using them for over 30 years, and want to transfer my stuff easily. I won't need any of the applications I used to use for work though: just email, internet, music, and iPhoto*. I would be upset to lose my laserprinter and scanner (connected by USB). I suppose I'll have to get used to not having a mouse any more.

*can I assume a new Mac will come with some sort of word processing and spreadsheet?

I'm sorry if this seems garbled, but the differences between now and when I last bought a new Mac seem somewhat daunting. Any advice most welcome, thank you!