As I said, "I have no idea what DriveX reports". Thanks for the information.

You and I have different interpretations of what is meant by "smoke and mirrors". To my way of thinking the specifications can be relevant in some situations. A friend wrote his doctoral dissertation on how much information was needed to make a sound decision and his careful research and testing revealed that the best decisions were more often made with minimal information, which would support your definition of "smoke and mirrors". On the other hand his research concluded that more information increased the decision maker's confidence in their decision and increased the likelihood of fully prosecuting any decision.

Disk Utility is an example of minimal information, but only tells you the disk has failed or not. I like seeing the additional parameters because on at least two occasions those have given me advance warning of impending failure. In one case complete failure was three days later and the other never completely failed, but over time its performance degraded to the point it was no longer satisfactorily usable. So in this case I prefer as much information as I can get.

I would like a SMART utility that automatically collected periodic SMART data and would notify the user when those values reached a user defined level or the rate of change increased. But AFIK that does not exist.

Last edited by joemikeb; 08/16/19 02:07 PM. Reason: add requirement

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein