Originally Posted By: deniro
There is no App store version. I looked. This is a direct download from the developer at unmarked.com. I sent him an email about this problem, so we'll see what he says.

Well apparently there is an identically named and functionally similar app on the App Store or I would not have been able to download from there. As far as I can tell the one on the App Store works and when you check th box to load automatically on startup that works too. Since the one you downloaded does not load automatically that would seem a good reason to download the one from the App Store — it is FREE.

Originally Posted By: deniro
Generally I avoid the App store because I hate it. Is there any reason why I should start using App store versions instead of versions I can download elsewhere?

It is your choice of course. While the strict "sandboxing" required for App Store versions greatly reduces the risk of ill-behaving apps, it can make it difficult, sometimes impossible, for some apps to be 100% functional.

I use the App Store because it is convenient, reliable, convenient, safe, and did I mention convenient? Also updates are automatic and completely transparent in most cases. If an App Store version is functionally limited and it effects my work, I have no qualms about switching to the non-App Store version. If I find an app that I need and it is not in the App Store I get it, but I give preference to apps from "recognized developers" and only download directly from the developers web site, avoiding third party aggregators assiduously.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein