CATALINA CROSSES THE RUBICON

There are still some notable things not working or not working 100% in Catalina Public Beta 4. the most prominent to me is Fujitsu's ScanSnap Home which refuses to "see" the Fujitsu scanner (I think that all is in Fujitsu's court). But many of the really annoying glitches such as Safari's & Safari Technology Preview's annoying tendency to crash any time I selected a block of text have completely disappeared and I have found at least usable if not ideal workarounds for others like the aforementioned problem with ScanSnap Home. Some third party developers such as Mike Bombich seem to have come to terms with the internal changes — Mike's Carbon Copy Cloner Version 5.1.10-b6 (5769) now deals with the structural changes including Recovery Drive quite nicely. And on top of all that this morning I realized I had not booted into Mojave in weeks.

While I can't claim any scientific findings or well thought out rationale for this decision but when I found the CCC beta update I decided the time had come to declare Catalina as my production OS. The Mojave installation is officially history, having been replaced with a Clone of my Catalina drive.

While this is definitely NOT a step for the faint of heart or the technology challenged, I think it is significant the beta has become sufficient stable that I feel I can rely on it.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein