SAY WHAT???

Don't ask why I haven't discovered this before but here is the Scenario…
  1. System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud > iCloud Drive > Options > Desktop & Documents Folders is checked (✔) just as it is in Mojave
  2. I decide to drill down from the Drive to the user account Documents folder (/Users/myaccountid/Documents) using Finder
    • result — THERE IS NO DOCUMENTS OR DESKTOP FOLDER. 😟
  3. I repeat the exercise, this time using Finder > Go > Go to folder (⇧⌘G)
    • result — I find both the Documents and Desktop folders as expected ⁇
  4. I go digging to find where the Documents and Desktop folders are actually located and find them in ~/Library/Cloud Storage/iCloud Drive along with all the other files that are synched to iCloud
  5. It appears the new location is hard-linked(?) in the system and can be accessed by what appears to be a normal file path that points to the new locations instead of where we are used to finding them.
  6. To verify this I check my wife's Mac mini that is also running Catalina and the situation is the same. I suppose moving those files accounts for the initial sluggish performance when Catalina was first installed.
This is taking a while to mentally adapt to the new situation and I can only speculate why the change was made. Among my speculations are:
  1. Hiding the Documents and Desktop folders to reduce the risk of uninformed user deletions
  2. Make the actual location of the folders more closely match their physical location in the hierarchy and at the same time preserve their logical location for the users. (As a software designer this has a lot of appeal to me.()
  3. this change presages a forthcoming security enhancement
  4. This is intended to make the logical file structure in macOS closer to that of iOS.IpadOS.

BY-THE-WAY: If this bothers you too much you can still use Apple aliases and/or Smart folders to create your own unique hierarchical structure.

Last edited by joemikeb; 07/27/19 05:08 PM. Reason: new thoughts

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein