When the Internet Messaging and Email protocols were developed internet security was not a particular concern. Certainly not the concern that it is today. There are add ons to Email but those are IMO neither easy nor intuitive to use, especially if either the sender or recipient are not particularly tech savvy. Thanks to SmallDog Electronic's newsletter I have found a reasonably secure means of sending such information called 1ty.me.
  • The sender posts the secure information (password, etc.) on 1ty.me and receives an abbreviated 1 time URL.
  • That URL is sent to the desired recipient via an IM or Email.
  • the recipient clicks on the URL and the post is displayed.
  • The link is good for one (1) time only and is deleted the instant it is used.
Obviously this scheme is definitely is not DoD level security, but it makes it possible to separate the most sensitive data from the text and can make a felon's (or ICE agent's) life more "interesting".

I envision putting the data in an encrypted dmg file and sending that file via email to the desired recipient. Then sending the recipient the file password in a Text Message using 1ty.me to hide it. It is not something I would do often but there have been times when it would have been nice to have this ability — especially since the service is FREE.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein