Originally Posted By: kevs
Gets a poor score at night, 7.. 8pm.. yet morning an excellent score. Kernal at 225%, then good score.. then no kernal.. I'm thinking maybe something about the internet stresses out the laptop while the desktop has no problem.
So I can tell you where to look and what to look for I first need to know are you using Etrecheck (the free or App Store version) or Etrecheck Pro (the paid version)?

However even without that information lets continue with trouble shooting your network connections.
  • How is your laptop connected to the internet via wiFi or ethernet?
  • How is your desktop connected to the internet: via WiFi or via ehternet?
  • When you are streaming movies is that through your laptop?
  • The next time you encounter the slowdown on your laptop, click on the WiFi icon on the menu bar and see how many WiFi networks you see.
  • Even better use a WiFi analysis tool such as WIFI EXPLORER LITE, WiFi Explorer, or WiFi Scanner and see
    1. what channel your laptop is on
    2. what the relative signal strength is
    3. are there other WiFi networks in the same or adjoining channels?
    4. what your bandwidth is
  • Perform the same test morning and evening and compare the results
  • Perform the same tests on your Desktop if it is connected via WiFi and compare the results with those from the laptop.
NOTE: All of the data points are important so please don't abbreviate and answer each item fully.

As To the Etrecheck Reports:

The Microsoft Office file entry is telling you that com.microsoft.launchAgent.SyncSevicesAgent,plist is referencing a non-existent executable which caused the LaunchAgent to fail. If you no longer have Microsoft Office 11 on your computer you can safely delete that launch agent. If you still have Office 11 I would suggest reinstalling it as the quickest and easiest way to fix the problem.

It is not unusual for the kernel task using the most CPU cycles. I wouldn't worry about that item.

The unknown files are a mixed bag. The only thing I can suggest is starting down the list and verifying if the associated application is still installed on your system. That is a LOT of LaunchAgents, LaunchDaemons, etc. There is another section of the Etrecheck Report that lists the Loaded and Running Launch Agents, Launch Daemons, and User Launch Agents. I would start by comparing those to the list of unknown files and seeing if there are duplicates. If they were not Launched or Running and on the Unknown list I would perform a Safe Boot (Boot while holding the space bar) and delete the unknown files.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein