Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Originally Posted By: artie505
Can you direct us to contradictory documentation?

I have recently read such documentation but I don't remember where. I will see if I can dig it up, but don't hold your breath as it may take a while.

Since you're busy helping us out by beta testing Catalina, I decided to help you out and do some searching.

Verify a disk using Disk Utility on Mac states that
Quote:
You can use Disk Utility to check a disk for problems, then repair them using First Aid.
and
Quote:
If Disk Utility reports that the disk appears to be OK, you’re done. Otherwise, you need to repair the disk. (Emphasis added)

"repair the disk" is a link to Repair a disk using Disk Utility on Mac, and it states
Quote:
This topic describes how to repair the disk that started up your Mac.
and
Quote:
Choose Apple menu > Restart. After your Mac restarts (some Mac computers play a startup sound), press and hold the Command and R keys until the Apple logo appears, then release the keys.
i.e. boot into Recovery.

Coming around full-circle, then, all of that means that this pop-up either suffers from an exceedingly poor choice of words or indicates that Apple's left hand isn't paying attention to its right hand.

At this point, I guess we need for someone with a disk in need of repair to tell us what happens next.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire