GRANTING ACCESS

I have already mentioned the necessity of granting apps access to various system function on a app-by-app basis but there are additional complications…
  1. some apps throw up a Preview or Safari window with instructions to
    1. open System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy
    2. enter your password
    3. add the app to the appropriate permissions list
    4. check the box next to the app on the list to activate it
  2. Some
    1. open System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy for you
    2. you then must enter your password
    3. add the app to the appropriate permissions list
    4. check the box next to the app on the list to activate it
  3. Other apps will launch System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy and fill in the app name so all the user has to do is
    1. enter their password
    2. check the box next to the app to activate it
  4. still others
    1. Throw up a dialogue box requesting permission to access the resource
    2. all the time
    3. one time
    4. deny access
  5. and some just ask permission to access the resource with no information on whether it is all the time or one time only.
  6. I have encountered cases (mostly older apps I beleive) where the app simply quit or quit with a notice that it was denied access to the resource.
Obviously how this is handled is the app developer's choice but if they have not provided for getting permission the Catalina steps in and doesn't permit the app to run. If you see this happening go back to case 1 to fix the issue. It appears it will be the rare app that does not need at least some tweaking to not run into access issues in Catalina.

The good news is most of those permissions can be easily revoked by the user at any time. The bad news is there are some legacy apps that apparently can get around these permissions — until Apple can figure out how to shut them off and give the developers time to come into line that is.

Last edited by joemikeb; 07/12/19 08:07 PM.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein