Originally Posted By: joemikeb
To my knowledge, there is nothing to prevent you from running CleanApp immediately after an installation so you would know what files were installed, but there may be other files created by the app when it is run that CleanApp would not be able to find because they do not yet exist. While CleanApp tracks the files that are installed it does not report WHERE they are installed.

I think that knowing what I've installed, AND WHERE, before I double-click on it is more important than knowing what dregs it's left behind after I"ve uninstalled it. It doesn't even have to be specific CleanApp functionality; a free standing app that builds on its existing capabilities would be fine.

Am I alone in the perception that it would actually be useful?

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Although I have used CleanApp for several years I have never bothered to check it that closely but I do recall seeing files that were not obvious by either name or extension. I do know that I have used the "deleted by others" as a guide to choosing which files to delete when there have been multiple versions of an app or apps with similar names. No few of those files were NOT automatically flagged by CleanApp for deletion, but in the last few years I generally delete any file found even supporting files files that were found but not automatically flagged for deletion and I have yet to encounter a problem. But that is just my experience and NOT a scientific study of the subject.

This may be a rhetorical question, but can you offer any insights into how people are able to determine that files of apparently indeterminate origin are associated with a particular app?

I've d/l'ed the CleanApp demo, and I'll report back if I learn anything helpful.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire