Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Originally Posted By: artie505
More: Responding to freelance's question before he even asks it, my impression is that CleanApp knows what to delete but isn't geared tell you before deletion time.

Your impression is incorrect.

Actually, no, it was just imprecisely worded.

What I was trying to say is that while CleanApp follows an app's installation as part of its eventual deletion functionality, it isn't geared to show the details of the installation immediately after its occurrence, which is what freelance asked about.

To my mind, CleanApp is selling itself short badly by not giving users immediate access to the info and enabling them to see precisely what they've done immediately upon their having done it. It's a wasted, valuable opportunity to nip trouble in the bud.

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
There is a CleanApp daemon that tracks all installations so it knows what files are placed by the installer or in the installation process. Then it uses an algorithm based on file name/extensionf, location, and a historical database of what and where other files associated with the app have been found in other installations to identify additional files created by the app at run time. It does not track or identify data files created by the app.

For all of that, how many times has CleanApp led you to delete a file that neither an app name search nor a developer name search would have found, and how, if at all, were you able to verify that the app in question had actually created it? (I'd love to see an example.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire