Originally Posted By: macmaniac
...."So what do you think? Shouldn't we just make ALL the security decisions for ALL of our user-base? After all, we're so much smarter than ALL of them are!!! Wait, is that being too much like that OTHER OS from those OTHER guys?"...as I recall, that didn't end all that well.

I don't see it that way at all. On the contrary it seems to me Apple is adding lots of security policies, which in today's environment does not seem unreasonable, but ameliorating the effect by allowing the user to choose which apps can do what. I have denied a lot of apps access to a lot of Catalina features while permitting other apps access to those same features when it seems appropriate. Apple provides the opportunity to have more control, but it is up to the user when to exercise that control.

This is annoying because initially there are a LOT of decisions to be made and as per my example often involve many steps to accomplish. My concern is how may users are well enough informed to make those decisions. At least the uninformed user will have to pause and think about their decisions which is better than nothing, but I suspect results will be mixed. My wife is properly cautious and if she doesn't know is more likely to deny access (or ask me). My friend, who thinks of himself as a power user (he is actually whatever is farthest from that), is more likely to say "yes" and I will end up walking him through yet another session with the Recovery Drive and reloading from a badly out of date clone or a Time Machine backup that he runs only irregularly.

It occurs to me a case of one of us being the glass as half-empty while the other sees it as half-full. Generally I tend to be on the half-empty side but perhaps not this time. 😇

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein