MORE CCC DISCOVERIES

This morning I tried using CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner 6.1.10.b1 (5741) to clone my Catalina volume to a sparse disk image bundle file, a common operation. In the attempt I discovered...
  • CCC would not create a disk image of any variety. Click on the option to create a new disk image file and nothing happens. 👎
  • Catalina's Disk Utility will happily create a disk image, sparse disk image, sparse disk imagebundle, and they may be encrypted with either HFS+ or APFS formatting. 👍
  • No matter what name I entered for the created disk image in Disk Utility it ended up named "untitled" 👎
  • When I selected the boot drive as the CCC source drive…
    • If I selected "all files" it would immediately switch "some files" 👎
    • Some files turn out to be what appears to be the Recovery Drive 👎
    • I could find no way to see, much less select, the boot drive - Data volume which is the system files applications and all the user accounts and files. 👎
  • CONCLUSION: In its present form CCC cannot create a clone of the boot drive. I cannot determine without a LOT of work whether this is a function of...
    • Catalina
    • APFS
    • or both
  • 🤷‍♂️
  • For now I will forego cloning Catalina 😡, but I will be particularly careful to keep good Time Machine Backups. 😀

Last edited by joemikeb; 07/04/19 05:27 PM.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein