Random Observations:
  1. I cannot change the name of the boot drive: 👋
    • I wanted to change the name of the boot drive from Macintosh SSD to Catalina to differentiate it from my other boot volume Mojave. (Notice the clever naming scheme? 🤡). It was easy to do with the Mojave volume but so far Macintosh SSD has resisted every effort to change its name.
    • I thought of changing the name while booted into Mojave, but given Macintosh SSD mounts in Mojave as two separate volumes since installing Catalina on it I have been VERY reluctant to attempt that.
    • I can't determine if this is a Catalina quirk or a quirk of encrypting the entire drive. Any thoughts?
  2. Display Crispness and Clarity: 👍
    • It may be my imagination or it may be different default fonts, but it seems to me the display under Catalina is noticeably crisper than under Mojave.
    • I know there has been a lot of tweaking of the graphics engine in Catalina so it may be more than just my imagination.
  3. Third Party Software Updates
    • Tinkertool and TinkerTool System: 👍 Marcel Bresink's very useful utilities have been updated to run under Catalina although there are features TBD in Catalina that are available in Mojave.
    • Graphic Converter 11: 👍 the latest iteration of Lemke Software's perennial macOS graphics standby is an upgrade an has some nice new and improved features. The first new feature I noticed is that it recognizes the Retina display and offers appropriate scaling options when opening a file.
  4. The App Store Logon Still Does Not work: 👎👎👎

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein