Catalina Public Beta 1 Features and Bugs

I will be adding to this list as new items are encountered: NOTE: this is not intended as a comprehensive list but a list of features and bugs encountered in the day to day use of Catalina.
  1. FEATURES
    • Fingerprint recognition everywhere if your computer has a Touch Bar that is. This started in Mojave but has been greatly expanded in Catalina. One of the few places where fingerprint authentication does not work is the App Store (see Bugs ➢ App Store)
    • Lots of new permissions: xxxx wants to download a file OK? xxx wants to access Bluetooth OK? xxx wants to access this drive OK? etc. If you are security conscious you will recognize the benefit of these precautions, if not you will probably find them annoying. (I do not find them annoying.)
    • Password prompts: It seems I am being prompted for my password or fingerprint far more often in Catalina but that may just be because there are a lot of first time accesses since this is a new OS, I haven't tried to keep a list.
    • Pages and Keynote get "styles" like every other word processor. Unfortunately I haven't been able to try them out yet (see Bugs ➢ App Store below 🤬) NOTE: The new versions of Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are available in Mojave as well as Catalina. The list of new Pages features may be found here and Numbers here
  2. BUGS
    • App Store: Apple ID Password not recognized in App Store — Everywhere else it works correctly NOTE: this is just about the only place where fingerprint authentication isn't available.
    • DEVONThink 3 filenames do not appear until the file is selected. It works perfctly in Mojave. Apple and DEVON Technologies have been notified.
  3. NEITHER OF THE ABOVE
    • File/Folder Visibility ???

Last edited by joemikeb; 06/28/19 10:04 PM. Reason: Add Notes

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein