I have some tools that are 32 bit and which are not going to work in future versions of the OS…not even Mojave. I also have some software that might work in Mojave but definitely will not work in versions of the OS after Mojave.

Call me intransigent, but I have no desire to buy new tools or replace certain pieces of software as they fully suit my needs and will for a long time. However, for banking and other on-line requirements I will want the security of future OS’s.

My internal drive is 1TB but I am only using about 25% of it. Therefore I am thinking about partitioning the drive to keep old software and tools on one, and everything new or security sensitive on the other.

Questions:

1. I assume that, after a fresh backup and doing the partitioning, nothing further needs to be done to the original OS and software. Yes, No?

2. I assume I can use the backup (Carbon Copy Clone) to “restore” to the new partition. Yes, No?

If these assumptions are correct I will upgrade the OS on the new partition.

3. Since Safari and Mail will be used on the new partition, should I remove them from the original partition for security? Are there any good arguments not to remove them?

4. I could receive documents in Mail on the new partition that I may wish to have on the first partition (e.g. to print). If so, does Drag and Drop work well between partitions?

5. How will Time Machine react? Does it require directions about which partition to back up?

6. Are there going to be complications with the fact that we have more than one account?

7. Have I missed anything? Any cautions or suggestions?

Last edited by ryck; 06/20/19 08:46 AM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C