Originally Posted By: kevs
thanks Joe, final question, "does not do anything that OnyX, TechTool Pro, Drive Genius, Cocktail"...

Being I know you have most of those.. if Etra does not do anything others don't do.. why do you have it?... Something about it you prefer..?

You misconstrued my comment (clearly it could have been worded more clearly 😊) so let me try again:
  • OnyX, Cocktail, TechTool Pro, Drive Genius, et. al. do NOT duplicate any function or feature found in Etrecheck
    • OnyX, Cocktail, Tinkertool, and Tinkertool System provide a GUI (Graphical User Interface) to execute command line utilities that perform specific system functions, and offer access to system and user preference settings that are not available in the Apple GUI.
    • TechTool Pro, Drive Genius, and Diskwarrior make repairs to the volume structure of the disk drive (similar to Apple's Disk Utility First Aid although arguably more capable), optimize storage on Hard Drives, and perform tests on the system hardware.
  • Etrecheck does NOT duplicate any function or feature found in OnyX, Cocktail, TechTool Pro, Drive Genius, et. al.
    • Etrecheck collects and reports a wide variety of system data, and provides limited analysis of that data.
    • The in-app purchased "Power User" features provide additional data analysis and tools as well as tools to aid in correcting any problems identified.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein