Originally Posted By: kevs
Launch services stuff come up red on laptop, but I think it's not an issue on Kernal at 200-400%-- that's the killer right.. but mystery why.

But the Pro version, makes it easier to find that stuff and delete them..? ( not sure at all even if I had Pro, really what to do).
Troubleshooting is not unlike detective work. You look at the clues, develop a theory. and test the theory. Etrecheck provides clues. Another place to look is the system logs but those are for developers and can be daunting even for power users. EtrecheckPro under the System tab does show Diagnostic Reports generated by the system in the previous week. These are the crash reports the system forwards to Apple. If there are a cluster of them around a single app then that is a big clue.

The next time one of these episodes occurs...
  • Open Console (in the /Applications/Utilities folder
  • On the Console sidebar select "System Log"
  • Scroll the log to the approximate time of the incident and look for a cluster of log entries where the Process is labeled "kernel"
  • Copy the next 50 to 100 log entries and pate them in a reply to this thread
  • Hopefully someone here can analyze the log and suggest an approach from there

Originally Posted By: keys
The laptop is AOK now. Why is goes bananas every couple of weeks and hits the 300 400% kernal, I have no idea.
Likely it is some recurring job or process that is triggered every couple of weeks. It could even be a task launched by one of those too numerous Launch Agents or Launch Daemons.

I do notice the fan is loud when watching video. That is a big part of the laptop, later in the day for an hour I use it as the main TV (catching up on news pre- recordered stuff from the kitchen) That does seem to be when this happens.
That is normal when watching a video. You are using a LOT of CPU cycles, RAM memory, Video RAM, video processor cycles, and watts of power. That means there is a lot of waste heat being generated and the fan is valiantly trying to keep things cool or cool enough.

Malware Byte, I've never seen it catch anything. What is it catching on your end where a periodic manual check would not have been enough?
Nope it has never caught anything, but that is good. My first line of defense is rigorously keeping macOS and iOS up to date and due diligence and caution on where I go on the internet, what mail and attachments I open, and what I click on in Mail and Safari. My second line of defense is a Plume Router that dutifully blocks access to suspect URLs and domains. Hopefully should should those fail and I encounter malware, MalwareBytes will detect and quarantine it before it can infect my system or spread to the other systems on my local area network. As far as I am concerned the sooner malware is caught the better. I don't want to find out that some malware has inculcated itself into all my apps and my clones and other backup data sets, not to mention the H$!! I would catch from my wife if her system got infected. (The results of that happening are too brutal to contemplate. confused )

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein