Originally Posted By: Artie505
Do you think that specifically means that there won't be an over-ride option as there is now?

More: It's not clear in your linked article, although "default" suggests one.

You got me 🤷‍♂️

If there is an override it might be more difficult to do. It does not appear Apple is attempting to punish or impede non-app store developers, rather they are trying to protect users, especially the less technically aware, from inadvertently getting infected with Mal-ware. All Apple is requiring is for the software be scanned for hidden malware, not that it meet app-store standards. At least I hope not as I depend on several apps that have an app-store version and a non-app store version that has significantly expanded capabilities. Two that come immediately to mind are NeoOffice and Daisy Disk and there are several others that won't be in the app-store because they cannot do their thing within the confines of a "sandbox".

I am confident there will be power users and others — even some on these forums — who will grumble that Apple is acting like too much like a "Nanny" but they/we are a minuscule portion of Apple's market. I will find the answer to your question in July with the release of the Catalina Public Beta.

Originally Posted By: freelance
This is my quandry: I have to be able to run CS5 Photoshop, Bridge and InDesign. Everything works fine on my aging MacPro 5,1 running High Sierra and seems to work on my MacBook Air running Mojave.

I expect to have to replace this 10-year-old MacPro soon with an iMac. So, do I have to buy the iMac before Catalina comes out, can I still run CS5 on Catalina?

Photoshop is 64-bit, but InDesign and Bridge are not.

There is no possibility for InDesign or Bridge to run in Catalina. They are reliant on 32bit APIs (Application Program Interface) for access to or from the OS. Those APIs have been removed from MacOS 10.15 so there is no possible way to use those apps in Catalina. Period — end of discussion.

Since your version of Photoshop is 64 bit it becomes another matter. The gatekeeper prevents applications from being installed and as far as I know does not re-verify apps after they they have been installed (although there is apparently a "nag" function to warn against 32 bit apps in Mojave) so Gatekeeper probably won't be involved with Photoshop unless you attempt to re-install it. That does NOT mean Photoshop will run in Catalina however. Adobe apps often get deep down into the OS which might have changed in Catalina and could therefore prevent some Photoshop functions or even Photoshop itself from running. The only answer there would be to try it and see. Given Adobe's current business model I wouldn't look to them for any help either.

An alternative you might consider is Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, and Affinity Publisher (I believe Publisher will be released next week.) I have said elsewhere that I am not an expert in Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher or the Adobe equivalents but it appears to me Affinity's apps are credible competition.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein