Originally Posted By: joemikeb
.... Unless Canon is doing something really funky there shouldn't be any executable in a CUPS driver so 32 vs 64 bit should not be at issue. ....

Just to clarify, I haven't got the device in question, so I (did the best I could do and) opened the CUPS d/l in Pacifist and found CanonIJPrinterUtility.app & CIJAutoSetupTool.app, which I extracted to my desktop; they were both 64 bit, but neither would launch, and both returned this error message, which suggests to me that 10.14 is the issue.

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
NOTE: For printers no longer in production it is usual for testing and certification to come to a screeching halt. So just because the Canon web site lists macOS 10.13 as the most recent OS version it is compatible with may only mean it was the last macOS version it was tested with and it MAY work well with later OS versions. The printer driver itself may work well but one or more of the add-on utilities may not work. Personally I would give the CUPS version a try and maybe even the non-CUPS version. Although it may have failed on Artie's machine there is an outside chance it would work on yours.

Despite my negative results in an almost identical situation, I'd say that it's worth a try, particularly since the alternative is buying a new device.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire