Just an observation, but since CUPS (Common Unix Print System) is a built-in feature of macOS since the first OS X beta I have to wonder why it would not work. Unless Canon is doing something really funky there shouldn't be any executable in a CUPS driver so 32 vs 64 bit should not be at issue. I would expect more problems with the scanner driver myself as it will have executable code — lots of it. You MAY be able to solve that problem with Vuescan (they offer a free trial).

NOTE: For printers no longer in production it is usual for testing and certification to come to a screeching halt. So just because the Canon web site lists macOS 10.13 as the most recent OS version it is compatible with may only mean it was the last macOS version it was tested with and it MAY work well with later OS versions. The printer driver itself may work well but one or more of the add-on utilities may not work. Personally I would give the CUPS version a try and maybe even the non-CUPS version. Although it may have failed on Artie's machine there is an outside chance it would work on yours.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein