Originally Posted By: tacit
Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
I seem to recall some example where we start with 2 twins and send one off in a spacecraft traveling at near lightspeed for 20 years. When he returns to Earth his twin there has aged 20 years, but the astronaut twin is much less older... something like that? Of course that's unproven as yet... but (assuming it's possible), Newton would never have expected that.

It's not unproven; in fact, it's been demonstrated very well, for things traveling a lot slower than light. Time dilation is an inconvenient fact of life for the engineers who design the GPS satellites, because time for them passes differently than time on the ground, and if they don't account for that then your GPS system wouldn't work.

Oh i see. On the one hand you say science never believes things without evidence... but now you seem to believe that the fact that mechanical devices in orbit run at different clock speeds also means that a human's biological system would age less than his twin's (by a factor of years possibly) due to high speed travel.

Is that not a leap of faith?

BTW, you said "traveling a lot slower than light" -- so I must ask this: Is the time dilation affecting those GPS satellites due to their motion (as per Special Relativity), or due to the fact that the gravitational force of the Earth is much weaker up there (as per General Relativity)?

If the latter... do you still maintain that the Twins example has been "demonstrated very well"?