Originally Posted By: sandbox
How does Hal_lelujah go about disseminating science and creating interest for it within a culture where the universe of discourse seems to be pre-occupied with pirates and vampires?

I would say first understand the culture. The culture of vampirism is not universal really; it is based in the eastern side of Europe where Christians were fabricating more myths. What would a story about Vampires serve? It would certainly control a population to not travel at night. It could cover up violent acts done by regular Christians behind masks….and I'm sure there were Vampire hunts and hanging people who were falsely accused of drinking someone else's blood besides their gods.

There's a long tradition of fabricating stories to cover up crimes. Virgin birth was used quite frequently to cover up rape during Roman occupation during the time of Mary's Virgin birth.

How you change the culture of such beliefs is to try to find the origins and demonstrate practical reasoning for the outlandish claims. But I'm sure you have a scientific answer for cracko's question, or maybe your just trying play God's answer to science fiction writers. If you need a Vampire in your life by all means enjoy it with your Eucharist. I just think it's kind of silly myself but I understand your fear.

Once again you post another load of dung that has absolutely nothing to do with science. [you "understand my fear"?... any more jokes?]

I see by your registration date that (somehow) you're part of the "in" crowd around here... but you're coming off like a very disturbed teenager (or 10-year-old even), so i really have to wonder who you are and what your problem is. Quite obviously though, your wounded inner child is not getting its needs met... but i can't help you. [you are so totally confused that you think you represent science and i represent catholicism... how funny is that!!! grin ]

Originally Posted By: sandbox
But I'm sure you have a scientific answer for cracko's question,

Unlike yourself, I wasn't pretending to.