Printers are like Chinese restaurants, cheesecake and bagels: everyone has her or his own personal favorite, and most people won't think your favorite is as good as their own.

Also, remember that printer companies are in the ink business, not the printer business; or so I was told by a printer rep at a trade show. He said if they sold printers at a "normal" retail price they would cost two to three times more.

So having said that, a color laser printer is probably the most cost effective over the (very ) long run. But like you, I am partial to Epson printers for two reasons. They are always easy to set up and compatible with every osMac and the printer drivers are kept current. (OK, that's three reasons for my first reason. smirk ) Second, the Epson ink quality is outstanding. It does not smear or bleed, even if the page gets wet.

With regards to the ink bottle printers, I agree with you from first hand experience. They are messy and the opened ink seems to be perishable. The printer was returned the next day.

Go buy another Epson and don't think twice about it! grin

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.